Thursday, September 6, 2007

Questioning your faith?

Recently some personal letters and memoirs of Mother Teresa were made public as the Vatican debates her sainthood. In an article for Newsweek, Christopher Hitchens a longtime critic of Mother Teresa's possible sainthood elaborates on his opposition. Here are two quotes from that article that were particularly poignant.

"So many unanswered questions live within me afraid to uncover them-because of blasphemy

If there be God-please forgive me
When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven-there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul,
I am told God loves me-and yet the reality of darkness and coldness and emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul.
Did I make a mistake in surrendering blindly to the Call of the Sacred Heart?"

Mother Teresa, seems to question her faith

"..it is the inevitable result of a dogma that asks people to believe in impossible things and then makes them feel abject and guilty when their innate reason rebels"

Christopher Hitchens in "The Dogmatic Doubter", Newsweek Sep 10, 2007.

No comments: